At Hachette Book Publishing India (P) Ltd “HBPI”, we are committed to HBPI’s vision of “Sustainable Development” which is in conjunction with our global group policy Lagardere (Publishing). Our strategic Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives will actively work towards the Philanthropic & Environmental Goals and will help us carve out a reputation for being one of the socially and environmentally responsible companies in India. These initiatives are independent of the normal conduct of HBPI’s business. Programme and activities (collectively “CSR Activities”) carried out in this regard are the subject matter of this Policy.
The key purpose of this policy is to:
• Define what CSR means to us and the approach adopted to achieve our Sustainable Development goals
• Define the kind of projects that will come under the ambit of CSR
• Identify broad areas of intervention in which the company will undertake projects
• Serve as a guiding document to help execute and monitor CSR projects
• Elucidate criteria for partner implementation agencies
• Explain the manner in which the surpluses from CSR projects will be treated
The CSR Policy focuses on addressing critical social, environmental and economic needs of the marginalized/underprivileged sections of the society. Through this “Sustainable Development” policy, we align our CSR strategy with the Hachette UK & Lagardere Environmental & philanthropic vision and goals. We adopt an approach that integrates the solutions to these problems into the strategies of the company to benefit the communities at large and create social and environmental impact.
In accordance with the requirement of Companies Act, 2013, HBPI CSR Activities, amongst other, will focus on in order of our identified priorities as linked to our own work areas;
• Education: Promoting education, including special education, employment enhancing vocational skills especially among children, women, elderly and the differently abled, and livelihood enhancement projects, monetary contribution to academic institutions for establishing funds, laboratories, distribution of Books etc with an objective to assisting students in their studies.
• Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women: Promoting gender equality and empowering women, by making contribution to NGO, trusts, foundation etc for setting up homes, hostels and day care centers for women and orphans; setting up of old age homes, and such other facilities for senior citizen and adopting measures for reducing inequalities socially and economical backward groups.
• Environmental Sustainability: Ensuring environmental sustainability, ecological balance, protection of flora and fauna, animal welfare, conservation of natural resources by making the contribution to NGO supporting green initiatives.